A bicycle lock is necessary to ensure the safety of your vehicle by limiting mobility. It can be attached to a wheel, to a frame, or to improvised objects - a post, a tree, a fence, etc. People often buy a cheap bike lock without thinking about the consequences. There are various options in quality, design, and material they are made of.
Bike Locks & Accessories
- The ordinary lock consists of a long cable (Anti-Theft Cable Bike Lock) in a plastic sheath. It’s light and does not take up much space. But it can be easily broken with wire cutters. Recommended only as an additional means of protection (fixing the wheels to the frame).
- V-shaped (bracket) - made of a metal rod. It is covered with a special material that protects the frame from scratches. Has a locking mechanism. There is only one drawback - you can not fasten it to everything, but only to a metal fence. But on the other hand, it is reliable, since the steel bow does not lend itself to the influence of even a hacksaw.
- A chain (from an improved alloy, iron) is the most optimal solution. Weaknesses include a lot of weight. The thicker, the less chance the thief has. After all, it will take a long time to tinker. And the sufficient length does not scratch the paint of the bike.
- Foldable chain, consisting of several layers covered with polymer material. Ideally combines convenience and reliability.
- GPS alarm costs a lot, but you can trace the location in case of theft.
- Remote Control Bicycle Alarm is a bicycle alarm - an alternative way to protect yourself from theft, to draw the attention of the owner and passers-by to theft.
According to the opening method, the bicycle lock can be coded (with a 4-digit number) or locked with a key (flat/cylindrical). In terms of reliability, they are approximately the same. It all depends only on your budget.
Bicycle theft is quite common.
Even if you do not know about them, they are still there. For starters, do not leave your bike unattended for a long time. But if this is not possible, then you should buy a bicycle lock. It does not guarantee 100% protection, but it creates obstacles in front of the thief.
There are several types of bike locks:
Rope with bracket. Its use directly depends on the thickness of the material, because a thin cable can be easily cut with a bolt cutter. They differ in length, thickness, and type of lock.
Arc. Made of stainless steel, which is difficult to damage.
Lamellar. Consists of steel plates, which must be at least 0.5 cm for protection.
In addition to the additional materials that the protective device consumes, they can be divided according to the type of locks. The most common option is key locking. But a combination lock can compete with it. The main thing is not to forget the set of numbers or not to lose the key!
Where can I find a bike lock?
Bike-West.com offers you locks from cables of different thicknesses with keys to coded types. You will find more information on the pages. You can ask questions of interest to our consultants, as well as place an order by phone or online with delivery in Minsk and the regions.