Even seasoned cyclists are sometimes confused when it comes to the question of what clothing to choose for a ride. The fact is that it is impossible to absolutely accurately forecast the weather for every day. Therefore, you need to be prepared for any weather, even though you are supposed to stay in comfortable hotels and take a lot of equipment with you.
A cyclist's clothing requirements should be even stricter than those of an ordinary tourist going on a trip without a bicycle. Because even the most anticipated trip can be interrupted due to a frozen chest and frostbitten hands. Cycling requires special clothing, which has many advantages over regular clothing:
• a regular Jerseys does not allow air to pass through, as a result of which overheating and additional sweating may occur. A special Cycling Jerseys for a cyclist consists of a special fabric that allows sweat and air to pass through, is well ventilated and protects well from rain;
• choose a raincoat made of rubberized material in rainy weather - it will keep the body dry in light rainfall;
• for trips in cold weather, you need to take care of such accessories as a balaclava (a mask with a continuous slit for the eyes that will protect the back of the head, ears, chin, nose from drafts), a fleece or woolen hat and special ski goggles;
• Simple shorts in cold weather are not able to heat all the circulating air and, moreover, fluttering clothes in the wind will look ugly. Therefore, it is better to replace them with cycling shorts (special tight-fitting trousers with inner insulation and tapered ends of the legs to avoid getting into the chain);
• cycling shoe covers can be used to keep the feet warm. They have slots on the bottom for a calm and unhindered ride in contact shoes. However, the shoe covers only the top of the foot. As a rule, it is made of thin materials, so it is suitable for late autumn and early winter;
• Your feet tend to sweat, so wear merino wool socks to keep warm. These socks are good at absorbing unpleasant odors. Of course, there are also socks made of high-quality artificial fabrics - they can be found in thermal clothing sales departments. Cyclists appreciated the breathable membrane socks that don't get wet at all (in practice, they cope with rain for three hours).
When the weather is hot, it is necessary that the clothing is well protected from the sun and absorbs sweat. Sometimes a cyclist can be under the sun for more than one hour, so it is recommended that you protect your hands, feet, neck and, of course, your face with a sun cream. After a while, do not forget to do it all over again. Shirts with cropped sleeves with zippers for ventilation, cycling shorts and light sunglasses will be needed to protect against the heat. And in order to avoid sweat dripping into your eyes, you can wear a special headband.
The choice of cycling gloves is very important. Well-chosen gloves with helium inserts will provide comfort for any ride. They also contain a special material that helps prevent sweating of the palms and, accordingly, the scrolling of the hands. Cycling gloves will also protect your hands if you fall.
If you are cycling during the cooler months of the year, you may feel your hands, fingers, knees and chest start to freeze. This happens because working leg muscles consume a lot of heat and not enough heat for other parts of the body. The way out of this situation is quite simple. Take armbands, gaiters and put them on yourself. The chest can be protected with a nylon vest that is waterproof. At temperatures above 10 degrees, it is recommended to wear the following clothes:
• special windproof vest;
• knee pads or leg warmers;
• bicycle shoe covers;
• light cap or headband (under the helmet);
• Fingerless cycling gloves or thin regular gloves;
What to wear for a cyclist in winter
If you are going to ride a bike in the winter, you need to be clear about what you need to wear for such an active holiday. Of course, you cannot wear quilted jackets, down jackets and fur hats. Dress so that it is cool at first. Because after 10 minutes of active driving, the cold will largely cease to be felt. It is even possible to sweat a lot, which is quite an unpleasant sensation. If after stopping you feel cold again, then the issue is resolved in just five minutes. Just start pedaling harder.
However, if you are already sweating, it will be better to spend some time in a warm room or train. If this is not possible, continue cycling and maintain the body temperature that has already developed under the clothes and thus do not let yourself cool down. Here it is necessary to immediately notice that not sweating at all will not work. Much depends on the correct choice of your clothes and the particular organism. If you have not changed your body, then you can choose the right clothes.
Currently, the choice of winter clothing for cyclists is very large, as well as the price of many things. Think and decide how much you want to spend on purchasing them. Those who do not have financial constraints can buy everything they need at once in one visit to the store. For the rest, we advise you to think about where to get, what to get and at what prices. A list of what you may need for your winter ride:
• comfortable and warm footwear;
• windproof jacket;
• hat and pants;
• thermal underwear.
For hands, you need to purchase special gloves. It is important that the accessory does not cause discomfort while driving and that you can safely change gears. Winter cycling gloves differ in price compared to ordinary ones. They provide protection from wind currents and have special inserts on the palm.
For longer winter trips, it is better to get comfortable thermal underwear, which consists of a jacket and pants. Multifunctional clothing will allow not only to keep the body warm at the same level, but also to cope with perspiration, absorbing excess moisture in the structure of the fabric. Thermal underwear is sewn from soft and elastic fabrics. It should be worn under the clothes in which you are going to travel in winter.
The most proven option is clothing in layers. Better not a down jacket on a T-shirt, but a couple of layers of light clothing and a waterproof and windproof jacket over it. The whole point is that with this way of dressing, you can always regulate body temperature by simply taking something off or putting it back on.
The outer layer of clothing (jacket) is designed to protect against snow, rain and wind. This layer needs to breathe, so that you do not bake and then do not freeze. Good quality outerwear can be the key to a comfortable journey.
Advantages of advice:
• breathes well;
• low price;
• is not blown out;
• dries very quickly.
As you can see, the choice of clothing for a cyclist is quite extensive, but even with the right equipment, it is impossible to always have a guaranteed result when fighting bad weather. It is very important to learn how to use this equipment correctly. Therefore, when you get on the bike, the first thing you will feel should be a little coolness, and when riding - dryness and comfort.
It so happens that thermal underwear does not cope with moisture when lifting. Don't be discouraged, just allow yourself some quiet ride. Put on something warmer after stopping. We are talking about the cold season. There is another option, after stopping, change your membrane jacket for a light sports jacket. In a short time, your jacket will dry completely and you can put it back on.
From all this it follows that the cyclist needs cycling clothing that retains heat well, resists wind and prevents high perspiration. Finding such clothes is possible only through trial and error.